Name: Job Title: Assistant Manager
Department: Trust Primary Report Line: Trust Manager
PAD Framework: Professional Board Report Line:
This job involves assisting and supporting the Trust Manager in all aspects of the daily operations of the department, including
people management and deputising in his/her absence. You will be responsible for the supervision of providing a high
standard of client service to a defined portfolio of clients in an efficient, accurate and timely manner.
Supporting the Manager, you may supervise the daily workloads of junior staff to ensure an efficient and effective service to
clients. You will help to maintain a good team spirit and staff morale by providing support and guidance to junior staff, assisting
in their development. You will display confidence when dealing with clients, having developed excellent communication skills,
with Directors, managers, team members, other colleagues and professionals alike and advanced technical knowledge of
You may be involved in managing staff performance through the PAD process, setting clear aims and objectives, coaching and
monitoring their progress on a regular basis to ensure that team members develop to the required standard set out in the SC
competency framework and financial and chargeable time budgets are adhered to.
You will ensure that you maintain confidentiality of information at all times.
Corporate & Professional Responsibilities
● To promote and support the aims and image of the firm.
● To develop and maintain effective working relationship with all colleagues.
● To co-operate with colleagues to promote an open and supportive environment.
● To carry out duties in a careful and professional manner, acting in a way that supports and upholds the reputation of
● Be a role model for maintaining the highest standards of ethical conduct.
● Establish and develop working relationships based on confidence, trust and respect, exhibiting professional and
personal integrity at all times.
● To establish and maintain effective relationships with clients through pro-active and regular communication.
● To lead by example in providing a high quality, professional client service excellence to both external and internal
● To anticipate client’s future needs and initiate appropriate action, looking to resolve issues that go beyond immediate
client problems or demands.
● Be responsible for a portfolio of clients, ensuring an efficient service is maintained. Maintain contact with those
clients and periodically review their requirements.
● Monitor financial income against set budget.
● To ensure the team delivers work on time and within budget.
● To encourage team members to continuously measure and strive for improved quality service to clients.
● To prioritise, schedule work, allocate responsibilities, tasks and resources appropriately.
● To ensure the firm’s database/records system contains the correct information with regard to the team’s clients.
● Review the overall team workload and conduct regular reviews of outstanding work on an individual basis to ensure
that deadlines are met and that backlogs do not occur.
● Ensure that your technical knowledge is kept up to date and attend any relevant courses.
● To provide practical on the job training to the team.
● To assist in managing staff performance in alignment with the PAD process, set clear aims and objectives.
● Coach and monitor progress on a regular basis providing the team members with constructive feedback that supports
individuals’ development needs and ensure that team members develop to the required standard set out in the SC
● To confront underperformance by demonstrating effective constructive feedback skills.
● To assist Manager with information required for quarterly board meetings.
● To build support for others’ views and ideas in order to gain commitment regarding the way forward.
● To assist manager in holding regular team meetings.
● Encourage others to identify and evaluate alternative ways of developing new solutions to problems.
● Be fully conversant with office policy pertaining to signing powers, prior to reviewing and signing any correspondence
or communications in the capacity of an authorised signatory and bring any problems or anomalies to the attention of
a Director at the earliest opportunity.
● To display and promote effective communication skills within the office at all levels and with other professionals.
● To promote a culture that encourages honesty, open discussion and information sharing at all levels.
● Review incoming post and communications, discuss any complicated items with team members and, if necessary Directors.
● To actively demonstrate an enthusiastic, positive approach and encourage all staff to promote the firm and make
them aware of the importance of the firm’s image.
● To encourage staff to develop themselves through providing adequate training and development and to give them
opportunities to reach their full potential and build confidence.
● Be responsible for the efficient working of a team of staff, ensuring good morale and liaising with Directors with
regard to the team’s requirements.
● Review team’s timesheets and ensure the system is operating efficiently and properly.
● To continually monitor and enhance the work review process.
● Review the team work load regularly to ensure that backlogs do not occur and that financial targets and time
utilisation is in accordance with set objectives and be aware of the reasons for any deviation.
● Assist in any other relevant duties as requested by the manager or directors.
● Maintain confidentiality of client information and any other of a managerial nature as instructed by the Directors.
● Promote the firm wherever possible and whenever necessary in an endeavour to establish new business and
maintain a good image with current clients. Encourage all staff to promote the firm and to make them aware of how
important the firm’s image is.
● Knowledge and experience in a Senior Trust role.
● Excellent working knowledge of philosophy and culture and awareness of business objectives
● Relevant Trust or other qualification (STEP Diploma, ISCA Diploma/CSQS, ACCA) or relevant number of years’
experience in a Senior Trust role.
● Excellent communication skills and ability to develop effective relationships at all levels
● Effective organisational and planning skills
● Effective Performance management skills, including, coaching, mentoring and giving and receiving feedback.
● Accuracy and attention to detail
● Proficient in all relevant IT programmes
● Dedicated and highly professional approach with total commitment to best practice with a pro-active approach
● Ability to work independently, use initiative and to prioritise work
● Ability to work in a timely manner, and to meet deadlines when under pressure
● Supporting approach regarding Senior Management decisions
● Approval authority B Level authorised signatory
● Demonstrate full compliance with all legal requirements and all relevant policies
● Demonstrate full adherence to all GFSC regulatory and Data Protection requirements
Possible next career steps include: