JOB TITLE: Commercial In-house Lawyer
HOURS OF WORK: 37.5
DEPARTMENT: Legal And Regulatory
This is a role with a telecoms and technology focus working on commercial and strategic legal matters, and legal matters arising from any relevant regulatory issues, as required across the group businesses within the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man (“CIIM”) and the South Atlantic (Falkland Islands, Ascension Island and St Helena) and Diego Garcia (“SADG”).
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Commercial and strategic legal matters including:
* Advising business stakeholders across all departments in both CIIM and SADG on legal and commercial risk and impacts and proposing commercially focused solutions to ensure any potential legal/contractual risks to CIIM and SADG are identified and mitigated;
* Reviewing, drafting and negotiating a wide range of commercial contracts including agreements relating to hardware, software, services and end user license agreements;
* An understanding of software licensing and IT support contracts;
* Reviewing, drafting and negotiating customer, supplier and consultancy agreements (including confidentiality agreements, letters of intent, etc.);
* Managing legal aspects of reseller arrangements, managed service contracts, data centre contracts and cloud service contracts;
* Working closely with product and sales teams to draft and negotiate contracts for business products and services;
* Managing contractual processes from RFP to implementation;
* Advising the businesses in respect of any relevant disputes brought by or against any of the companies;
* Reviewing and drafting telecommunications agreements such as interconnect agreements, wholesale agreements and roaming agreements;
* Managing, reviewing and updating standard legal documents and agreements including terms and conditions and master services agreements;
* Advising the businesses in respect of intellectual property issues.
* Data Protection:
* Supporting the group Data Protection Officer with data protection issues and queries to ensure compliance with data protection requirements across the group.
* Legal input to relevant regulatory issues including:
* Assistance with reviewing relevant legislative/licensing frameworks for licence negotiations and/or renewals;
* Assistance with reviewing relevant legislation and subsequent licensing obligations relating to telecom security requirements (TSRs);
* Assistance with preparation and submission of regulatory papers, notifications, complaints, investigations and responses, where they require specific legal input;
* Assistance with resolving customer complaints against the business.
In addition, the person will be required to
* Understand and comply with the licence and other regulatory rules applying to the position.
* Understand and comply with data protection laws as they relate to the position.
* Understand and comply with the Health and Safety responsibilities relevant to the role as defined in the Safety Policy.
* Work in accordance with the safety procedures and safe working policies of the company.
* Undertake appropriate security awareness training covering information security, data protection, financial crime and payment card data and comply with information security responsibilities. This awareness training includes understanding of the incident reporting process to be followed in the event of the employee suspecting, causing, or discovering an information security incident.
Due to the nature of this position, the postholder must hold a satisfactory Basic Police Disclosure. All disclosures of a criminal background are treated with the strictest confidence and checks will only be made in connection with suitability for a post and for no other purpose.
Convictions likely to be considered relevant to this post include dishonesty and those indicating a breach of trust, due to the security requirements of the role.
Please note that disclosure of a criminal record will not necessarily debar you from employment in this post – this will depend on the nature of the offence/s and the circumstances surrounding it/them.
THE WAY WE DO THINGS
* We work together as One Team,
* We strive for Customer Satisfaction,
* We are Reliable,
* We have a Passion for Technology & Learning,
* We are Community & Sustainability Focused.
* Qualified lawyer in any of the United Kingdom, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man (or other jurisdiction of near equivalent basis, e.g., Ireland, other EU);
* A minimum of 6 years’ post qualification experience (PQE);
* Excellent drafting skills;
* Experience in drafting and negotiating commercial contracts.
* Post qualification in-house experience in the telecoms or technology industries;
* Data protection experience;
* Some experience of working within a regulated environment preferred (not necessarily in telecoms, e.g., experience in other regulated industries such as financial services for example .)
* Commercially focused and willing and able to work alone and progress projects with business and commercial input;
* Ability to effectively prioritise and manage expectations associated with the wide scope and scale of competing and diverse requirements of the businesses and departments;
* Ability to explain data protection requirements to non-specialists;
* Good communication skills with ability to explain impact of legal issues;
* Ability to engage proactively and effectively at all levels within ensure the delivery of commercial objectives;
* Attention to detail and accuracy;
* Able to solve problems with a commercial and pragmatic approach to meet the needs of the business within the appropriate legal and regulatory frameworks.
Commercial In-house Lawyer