Job Title: Lead PHP Developer
Department: Payment Gateway Squad
Reports to: Squad Leader, Gateway
Our client is an innovative payment solution spearheading innovation in payment
technology. They specialise in providing the perfect eWallet and payment device
solutions used by more than 1,000,000 customers in 180 countries.
They bring together a team of tenacious thought-leaders, re-imagining the business
model of payment services and pushing the boundaries and capabilities of a
payment app, and who strive to create an excellent ongoing customer experience.
With offices in the UK, the Isle of Man, Malta, Lithuania and Costa Rica, they also
have people in Spain, Costa Rica, India, Malta, Canada, Israel, their team is
multicultural, and their workspace is a place for creativity, change, innovation and
collaboration. They employ people who think outside the box, share ideas without
restrictions, take pride in supporting the wider team, and are not afraid to ask
The lead PHP Developer will be working on our client’s latest product offering which
is a Payment Gateway. The Gateway is high volume transactional platform for
passing payments from our customers to our payment partners. The role includes
architecture of the core transactional engine, new payments integrations, scaling the
platform and improving the Backoffice and customer portals
• Work as part of a Scrum team to develop features, integrations, and
improvements to the platform.
• Learn and document the platform architecture to mentor and develop Junior
• Identify security, performance, and feature improvements.
• Innovate and be creative.
• Take part in Product Support ticket resolution.
• Encourage, motivate, and lead other team members.
• Preferred – Degree qualified in related subject.
• Understanding of Waterfall and Agile methodologies.
• Good knowledge of PHP (5 years) , Laravel, Liveware.
• Experience in development of financial systems (PSP, wallets, etc.).
• Experience working with MySQL (other DB engines would be an advantage).
• Knowledge of HTML, CSS, jQuery (other JS libraries and frameworks would be an
• Experience working with SOAP, REST, micro-services, API and their practical
• Working experience with sockets, comet, mongodb.
• Minimum of 5 years working in a similar role.
• Experience working in the Finance sector and familiar with the Agile methodology of
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
• Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills.
• Ability to work well independently, set goals, be versatile and demonstrate initiative
• Experience with Atlassian’s Jira and Confluence toolset.
• Any experience with the following stack would be considered desirable: –
o Yii framework
o RabbitMQ / Kafka Event Streaming
Attributes and Behaviours:
• Analytical thinking – able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into
component parts, and explore and evaluate them systematically.
• Strategic thinking – able to identify a vision along with the plans, which need to be
implemented to meet the end goal, evaluating situations, decisions, and issues in the
short, medium, and long term.
• Influencing and persuading – able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to
convince others. Adapts to the situation and can draw from a range of strategies to
persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
• Communication – able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of
styles, tools, and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the
• Managing relationships and team working – able to build and maintain effective
working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be
part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
• Keeps pace with change – acquires knowledge/skills as the business develops.