OVERVIEW OF ROLE
The Management Accountant’s role is to lead on accounting support provided by the finance department. The successful candidate will be responsible for the preparation of management accounts whilst overseeing general accounting procedures and practices within the business. Combining financial, analytical and management skills the Management Accountant will play a key role in aiding senior management with decision making and promoting long term financial success of the business. Owning the delivery of accounts and projects within the Finance Team the Management Accountant will proactively identify and implement improvements in reporting, process, and controls in order to minimise risk, maximising accuracy and the speed of outputs.
Reporting to the CEO, responsibilities include:
- Be the key finance contact for the business developing strong internal relationships across the entire company to enable support in all aspects of Finance and Operations.
- Completion of monthly management accounts and production of the board pack including accurate and meaningful commentary within the month end timetable.
- Analyse key financial information to optimise financial planning.
- Working with the CEO and wider business, produce annual Budgets and Forecasts. Implement reporting mechanisms to control income and expenditure ensuring that expenditure tracks in line with budgets.
- Understand the financial risks and opportunities within the business and advise on the financial implications of business decisions.
- Work with the commercial department on cost saving/transformation initiatives tracking the financial impact.
- Complete, review and challenge balance sheet reconciliation items with the team members ensuring accuracy and the timely rectification of reconciling items.
- Complete the monthly data reconciliations and understand the implications re product profitability challenges.
- Produce ad hoc reports for the business and internal stakeholders.
- Responsible for changes on the billing system as per requirements.
- Review credit requests, coordinating their approval and managing the process once approved.
- Review, reconcile and approval of the monthly billing data for monthly bill runs and invoicing in a timely manner.
- Proactively resolve any internal or external queries around the billing system
- Prepare annual statutory accounts and tax calculations and all other statutory financial and company obligations for review by the CEO.
- Complete VAT ITIP/NIC and all employer returns for review by the CEO and submit by due date.
- Manage the Finance Team, providing guidance and mentorship along with career development planning and performance evaluation. Support the Finance Team in their work to fulfill the mission and goals of the business efficiently and effectively.
- Keep abreast of Accounting Standards & Tax legislation updating processes accordingly.
- Participation in companywide projects taking responsibility for completion of tasks assigned to you, liaising with other departments when required.
- Actively build positive relationships with customers, suppliers and colleagues.
- Maintain a record of business processes, document new processes as and when required, operating a control environment.
- Continuously review the processes and procedures identifying areas for improvement, particularly for task automation and improved efficiency.
- Ad-hoc activities as determined by the CEO.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 5 years minimum experience within a finance department, developing a positive ongoing working relationship with all stakeholders.
- A qualified/part qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA) with a demonstrable track record of improving department performance, being a point of escalation and supporting the resolution of disputes.
- A confident, innovative, and creative approach to customer interactions and resolving stakeholder issues.
- Excellent attention to detail to ensure the information being shared is always accurate, reliable, and right first time.
- The ability to write relevant and accurate reports, excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking, and presenting financial material to groups of people, in a simplified format.
- Strong Excel skills.
- Demonstrate resilience, self-motivation and commitment to self-development with a desire to achieve positive outcomes regardless of challenge, and seek feedback.
- High level of energy and commitment to drive results and contribute positively to the culture of the business.
- Excellent financial and commercial acumen and a thorough understanding of the business and industry in which we operate, and the wider impact of the finance function.
- A skilled active listener, with demonstrable experience in fulfilling a stakeholder requirement and understanding their requests and how to deliver such requests.
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Openness to feedback and a proactive approach when working with others.
- Forward-thinking and proactive attitude to work, taking ownership of tasks and wider teams targets with the overarching objective to always deliver the best experience.
- Ability to act with a high level of integrity, with interpersonal skills to demonstrate our Values to both external customers and internal stakeholders.
- Openness and resilience to be flexible and adapt in a fast-paced and changing environment, with the ability to respond to change positively and bring your team with you on the journey.
- Highly motivated to manage your own workload and responsibilities. Effective use of time to manage own diary, making appropriate time in schedule to support others, attend meetings and work in the Douglas office as required.
- Contributing to the business’s overall success by staying focused on key tasks, sharing knowledge, expertise and resources.
- Experience of CRM/computerised quotation or order taking systems.
- Experience using SAGE accountancy package.
- Experience using Eclipse billing software.