Our client has an established reputation in e-business, web and internet services. From their award winning base at the Isle of Man Datacentre, they strive to provide a relaxed, informal and stable working environment, which brings out the best in their talented staff. Due to their continued growth they now have a vacancy for an exceptional individual to join their Network Operations Team.
Working as part of the Technical Team the successful applicant will be expected to take day to day responsibility for our client, together with the support, maintenance and delivery of their Core Services and Systems.
For this position the successful candidate will have some experience and be interested in growing their knowledge of some or all of the following: Linux, IP routing and switching, MPLS, Internet Security, routing protocols, Scripting, Virtualisation Environments and Wireless Technologies.
As a Systems/Network Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining the organization’s computer systems and network infrastructure. Your primary objective will be to ensure the reliability, availability, and security of the systems and network to meet business requirements. This role requires a strong technical background, excellent problem-solving skills, and the ability to manage complex systems and network environments.
- Systems and Network Design: Design and plan the organization’s computer systems and network architecture based on business needs and best practices. Collaborate with stakeholders and other IT teams to define requirements and ensure compatibility and scalability.
- Systems and Network Implementation: Install, configure, and deploy servers, network devices, and related infrastructure components. Ensure proper integration and interoperability of hardware, software, and network services. Implement security measures and compliance standards.
- Systems and Network Monitoring: Monitor and maintain the health, performance, and security of systems and network infrastructure using appropriate tools and technologies. Proactively identify and resolve issues to minimize downtime and optimize system performance.
- Systems and Network Administration: Perform routine administrative tasks such as user management, system backups, system updates, and patches. Manage system and network resources effectively and ensure adherence to operational procedures and policies.
- Troubleshooting and Issue Resolution: Diagnose and resolve complex technical issues related to systems, network connectivity, performance, and security. Investigate root causes and implement corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence. Collaborate with other teams to resolve escalated issues.
- Systems and Network Security: Implement and maintain robust security measures to protect systems, network infrastructure, and sensitive data. Conduct vulnerability assessments, apply security patches, and implement security policies and procedures. Monitor and respond to security incidents.
- Change Management: Plan and execute changes to the systems and network infrastructure, following change management processes. Coordinate with stakeholders and ensure minimal impact on users and business operations.
- Documentation and Knowledge Management: Create and maintain accurate and up-to-date documentation of systems and network configurations, procedures, and troubleshooting steps. Contribute to the knowledge base and provide training and guidance to junior team members.
- Collaboration and Communication: Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including developers, IT administrators, and project managers, to support system and network requirements. Communicate technical concepts and solutions effectively to non-technical stakeholders.
- Continuous Improvement: Stay updated with emerging technologies, industry trends, and best practices in systems and network engineering. Evaluate and propose enhancements to systems and network infrastructure to improve performance, efficiency, and security.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field. Relevant certifications (e.g., CCNA, MCSE, RHCE) are highly desirable.
- Proven experience in systems and network engineering, including design, implementation, and administration.
- Strong knowledge of network protocols, routing, switching, and firewall technologies.
- Proficiency in systems administration, virtualization, and cloud computing platforms (e.g., Windows Server, Linux, VMware, AWS, Azure).
- Experience with network monitoring and management tools (e.g., Nagios, SolarWinds, Wireshark).
- Familiarity with cybersecurity principles and practices, including network security, authentication, and encryption.
- Solid understanding of ITIL or other IT service management frameworks.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to troubleshoot and resolve complex issues.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively in a team and collaborate with stakeholders.
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Proactive mindset and commitment to continuous learning and professional development.