Name: Job Title: Trust Officer
Department: Trust Primary Report Line: Trust Manager
PAD Framework: Professional Board Report Line: Line Director
This job involves working as a senior member of the team, responsible for the day to day administration and supervision of a
defined portfolio of clients in an efficient, accurate and timely manner.
You will organise daily workloads and where appropriate, the workload of junior staff to ensure an efficient and effective service
to clients. You will help to maintain a good team spirit and staff morale by providing support and guidance to junior staff,
assisting in their development. You will display confidence when dealing with clients, having developed excellent
communication skills, with Directors, team members, other colleagues and professionals alike and a sound technical knowledge of Trust. You will ensure that you maintain confidentiality of information at all times.
Corporate & Professional Responsibilities
● To promote and support the aims and image of the firm.
● To develop and maintain effective working relationship with all colleagues.
● To co-operate with colleagues to promote an open and supportive environment.
● To carry out duties in a careful and professional manner, acting in a way that supports and upholds the reputation of
● Be a role model for maintaining the highest standards of ethical conduct.
● Establish and develop working relationships based on confidence, trust and respect, exhibiting professional and
personal integrity at all times.
● To respond promptly to all client communications in an accurate, consistent and professional manner
● To provide consistent high quality service to clients
● To ensure that work activity is completed to the standards, guidelines and deadlines required.
● To be pro-active in building rapport with clients to establish an understanding of their future needs.
● To have an understanding of the consequences associated with missing deadlines
To review all work (and clears review points) before handover to the line manager so that the number of
manager/senior manager review points is minimal.
● To prioritise own work activities and others by scheduling work, allocating responsibilities, tasks and resource
● To seek feedback from others regarding own performance.
● Attend agreed relevant courses to improve technical knowledge and assist in providing coaching for trainees when
● Provides feedback to trainees in a constructive way that ensures understanding of errors made and how to improve
● To keep the manager/assistant manager up to date with progress on work and ensure colleagues are aware of
pending items prior to annual leave.
● To assist other colleagues within the team or others when they are in need of support and share existing knowledge
and skills for the benefit of the team.
● To ensure that all communication, written, telephone, email and face to face is courteous, polite and accurate.
● To display good communication skills with clients, colleagues, professionals, Directors and other team members
ensuring that the Manager is kept informed of any important developments relating to clients and staff.
● To remain positive when faced with setbacks.
● To coach new trainees in their work, providing a connection between studies and workplace learning.
● Ensure that all office and departmental procedures are adhered to.
● The day to day organisation and administration of a defined portfolio of clients, delegating tasks where appropriate
and necessary to junior staff to help ensure that the team remains well motivated and that work is carried out in an
efficient and effective manner.
● Demonstrate sound knowledge of client affairs for a defined portfolio, ensuring statutory obligations and client
instructions are fulfilled as directed by the Manager.
● Ensure that all necessary statutory records are set up and maintained for a defined portfolio of clients, utilising the
assistance of junior staff as appropriate and provide instruction and guidance when required.
● Have a good working knowledge of the computer system and ensure that all necessary client information is
contained in the database and up dated as requested.
● Ensure that day to day bookkeeping is accurate and up to date and assist in the production of accounts for a defined
portfolio of clients. With training and experience develop the necessary skills to review accounts.
● Any other relevant duties as requested by your Manager/Director.
● To adhere to compliance procedures and ensure that all documentation regarding client review is provided to client
reviewers in a timely manner.
● Review daily work including diary notes and where appropriate also the work of junior staff.
● Review workload with the Manager to ensure that backlogs do not occur and that financial targets and time utilisation
is in accordance with set objectives.
● Be fully conversant with office policy pertaining to signing powers, prior to reviewing and signing any correspondence
in the capacity as a ‘C’ signatory and bring any problems or anomalies to the attention of the Manager at the earliest
● Previous experience in a trust officer role
● Knowledge of tax
● Excellent working knowledge of philosophy and culture and awareness of business objectives
● CGI (formerly known as ICSA) Cert or STEP Certificate Qualification.
● CGI (formerly known as ICSA) or STEP Diploma Qualification/ working towards or relevant years’ experience in a
trust officer role.
● Good communication skills and ability to develop effective relationships at all levels
● Effective organisational and planning skills
● Accuracy and attention to detail
● Proficient in all relevant IT programmes
● Dedicated and highly professional approach with total commitment to best practice with a pro-active approach
● Ability to work independently, use initiative and to prioritise work
● Ability to work in a timely manner, and to meet deadlines when under pressure
● Supporting approach regarding management decisions
● Approval authority – N/A
● No direct reports
● Demonstrate full compliance with all legal requirements and all relevant policies
● Demonstrate full adherence to all GFSC regulatory and Data Protection requirements
Possible next career steps include
Senior Trust Officer